Why do teeth chip or become worn?
Dental decay– dental decay or caries or cavities have the ability to weaken your teeth and predispose your teeth to chip or wear much easier.
Getting unlucky with a bad bite – sometimes if you enjoy eating ice cubes, hard lollies, bones, or minties you are just going to get unlucky.
Trauma – a hard hit to the face may result in a chipped front tooth or front teeth.
Bruxism– clenching or grinding your teeth over a long period of time can occasionally lead to you getting a chipped tooth especially if your tooth enamel is already thinner because of it. Wear is often seen due to bruxism.
Diet – one of the main reasons why teeth can become weakened is due to acid attacks on your teeth; fruit juices, soft drinks, and energy drinks are usually associated with this although excessive alcohol use, frequent vomiting, and acid reflux can also cause this.
Surprising reasons for chipped teeth – tongue piercings, crooked teeth and nail-biting all can occasionally lead to you being more likely to chip or wear your teeth.
What signs and symptoms are likely to occur with a chipped or cracked tooth?
- Sensitivity to cold and hot drinks
- Sensitivity to biting on hard things
- An irritated gum line around particular tooth
- Ulcers or soreness on the tongue due to a very rough surface
- Occasionally bad breath will occur
- You will be able to feel or see the crack on your tooth
How do you fix chipped or worn teeth?
- The first thing that you should do if book in for an appointment to see us! Delaying seeing a dentist may lead to further damage of your tooth, or your tooth becoming infected.
- If your tooth is very jagged you’re able to get a piece of wax to try and cover up the tooth until you see the dentist.
- If your teeth are painful after having chipped them you’re able to take either ibuprofen or paracetamol to try and assist your pain.
- Remember to eat soft foods while your tooth is not fixed.
- Teeth chipping can be a sign of clenching and grinding, and although this is not an emergency, it is very beneficial to address this issue with the dentist, otherwise your teeth can become unattractive or chip further.
How do you fix chipped teeth?
Porcelain veneers are thin yet durable tooth coloured shells that are bonded to the front of your teeth.LEARN MORE
Contact Bayview Dental in Claremont if you have any questions teeth chipping, or wearing down further. We are always here to assist you. Contact us now by calling 08 9284 2995.