With the end of the year coming, now is a great time to make sure you use your health cover.
Don’t forget there is a yearly reset – which means that if you don’t use it – you will lose it.
If you have already reached your limit for the year, get in early for January as it tends to be a busy time during school holidays, and especially this year when people are not travelling as much.
What can I claim now before the end of the year?
- Get your teeth cleaned – especially if you haven’t seen us this year. General dental limits are usually very good, and it is important to keep those teeth cleaned.
- We still have time to get major work done, so if you have a plan to do multiple crowns, root canals, or dental veneers; now may be a great time to save.
- Children’s teeth – we are able to get kids in during school holidays, and also get mouthguards ready for next year. Most limits allow you to get a rebate on mouthguards, so make sure you change them frequently to avoid them getting smelly, or not being protective.
- Whitening treatments – did you know that whitening treatments are actually covered by some health insurers. Now is a good time to get an estimate and discuss whitening before Christmas.
How much can I claim from health insurance?
Annual claim limits vary depending on your provider and your level of extras cover; at Bayview Dental, we get great rebates for people with HBF, BUPA, HCF, HIF, Grand United, AHM, and many more. In some cases, you won’t have to pay anything for your hygiene appointment. In most cases you will be $20-100 out of pocket; but make sure to ask us for an estimate before your appointment.
You can also use AfterPay, or OpenPay if you have no health insurance, or which to put your out-of-pocket expense on a payment plan. Ask us more by calling us on 9284 2995.
For major treatment, especially when doing work on multiple teeth, it sometimes can be an advantage to work out a priority list with your dentist. That way, you can work on the teeth and complete some treatment this year, and some next.
Who benefits most from extras cover?
Extras health cover is designed to help with ongoing costs going to dentist and other ancillary providers. There are two groups of consumers that get amazing value from extras insurance in our experience:
Families: Families will find that their children are covered for free, and they end up paying the roughly the same as a couple. It is a great idea to make sure your kid’s teeth are looked after by a dentist, so make the most of your benefits. At Bayview Dental we have great rebates for children’s dentistry
Those aged 45–70: For those people requiring the most dental cover, it makes sense to have extras cover.
Remember – your dentist will be more loyal to you than your health insurer. Pick your dentist, build rapport with them, and then get their advice on health insurance.
To work out if your extras health insurance is offering you value for money:
- Request an annual claims statement from your fund, which shows the total benefits you received in the last financial year, and then compare it to your premiums.
- Shop around – health insurance is a massive business. Everyone wants a slice of the profitable pie that is health insurance. Sometimes being with someone for many years may be like a mortgage repayment. Your policy may be out of date, may be too expensive, and there may be better policies around.
- Don’t be afraid to lose your extras cover if you haven’t made many claims – discuss it with your dentist and see if it is right for you, but you may be much better off without health insurance in the long term.