Dental exams and cleanings are a vital part of your oral care. They help us to catch any problems early and nip them in the bud before they have a chance to cause serious and painful problems. We suggest that patients visit us twice per year for dental exams and cleanings.
What does a dental exam involve?
During an initial examination, which usually takes 60 minutes, Dr Chandra will carry out a comprehensive check of your entire mouth. His aim is to take a thorough, individualised and holistic approach taking into account your medical and dental history, while listening to your queries and concerns. During subsequent visits you will receive regular check-up exams, which include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic X-rays: X-rays are essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: We check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: We examine the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination for tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: We check any fillings, crowns, or other restorative work you have had done in order to determine whether it is in good repair or requires replacement.
The examination process is aided by digital radiographs (X-rays) and an intra-oral camera.
The benefits of digital radiographs are that your exposure to radiation is greatly reduced, results are quickly available, the data is easily transferrable, and the image can be enhanced or magnified to aid diagnosis
The intra-oral camera allows us to show and record valuable images such as the appearance of the gums, surface condition of fillings, small areas of decay, cracks and staining on teeth – things that can’t be seen on radiographs. People love the detail that Dr Chandra goes into during this appointment. Dr Chandra will then discuss with you any issues he has identified, discuss treatment options, and then formulate a personalised treatment plan.
Because of Dr Chandra’s meticulous nature, there will be an appointment for hygiene (scale and cleaning) completed at a subsequent appointment; however this can be completed on the same day if requested.
Come and have your teeth thoroughly examined at Bayview Dental Claremont in Perth.
Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Warning: not everyone may be suitable for this treatment and any oral appliance carries risks of treatment.